Restoring water damaged window sills?

Old 10-04-08, 03:52 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Restoring water damaged window sills?

We have beautiful wooden windows in our home that have deteriorated over the years from condesation / water damage. I've sanded one down and tried applying Varathene brands "wood restorer" to help the stain be less blotchy.
As soon as I applied it, one of the areas tht had bad water damage went almost completely black! I havent tried the stain yet, but I'm sutre it wont look much better...

Should I try to bleach this, or am I up a creek now?

Looks like the wood is a softwood of some kind (fir?) with a orangey varnish (Shellac?) on it. I was going to sand it off and stain it to match the mahogany trim,

It would be a shame to have to paint everything white or something.

Thanks in advace.

Old 10-06-08, 04:00 PM
J
It sounds like you are talking about interior sills, correct??? If they are not repairable, they can be replaced w/new wood fairly easily, but will have to stained and finished.

Old 10-08-08, 08:39 AM
J
Same thing happened to me: water and sun damage broke down the wood, making it porous and full of tiny ridges. I noticed the places where I didn't sand to perfect smoothness soaked up a lot of stain and turned it black. The answer must be to remove all the indentations and to sand down to where the wood is strong. If its old like my sills are, then it'll take a whole lot of sanding!

J

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: