acrylic and stain

Old 10-16-08, 05:06 PM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
acrylic and stain

I bought unfinished frames and painted with water based acrylic painting and over that, with water based stain. then, I put water based varnish. I would like to know if this is correct and if it that can last over time.
Thanks,

Old 10-17-08, 03:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 860 Upvotes on 752 Posts
Are these picture frames?

The waterbased coatings should last with no problems. Oil base is a little more durable but it will change the look some and it's not like there will be a lot of traffic on the frames.

Old 10-17-08, 05:12 AM
L
Thanks for the response. Yes, they are picture frames. I still would like to know if the order of the coatings can work: if to put first the water based acrylic painting on the unfinished wood and then second, the water based stain over the acrylic painting is fine.
Thanks again

Old 10-17-08, 05:41 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I'm not sure I understand the look you are trying to achieve. Stain is formulated to soak into raw wood. The paint will seal the wood so about all the stain will do is discolor the paint some.

If you only intend to just paint portions of the frame, it might be better to first stain and seal, then do the art work followed by another coat of varnish/poly. it would be difficult to remove any errant paint from unsealed portions of the wood.

Old 10-17-08, 07:47 AM
L
I will do as you said for next projects, but I already painted this frame, first with the water based acrylic painting and then with the water based stain and the stain didn't discolor the painting and gave an interesting look. The question is: if painted like this it will last over time?

Thanks,

Old 10-17-08, 12:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Wear shouldn't be an issue. If you got good results it might be best to stick with the same method if you want them all to look the same/similiar.

Old 10-17-08, 01:50 PM
L
Thank you for the advice!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: