Change the color of IKEA coffee table

Old 10-17-08, 12:12 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Change the color of IKEA coffee table

We got a birch coffee table but we would like to stain/paint it if possible and make it dark brown.
I don't think it can handle sanding, we can try but it has like laminate top, i don't know how to explain the material.

How can we paint it? Would spray paint work? Should we still sand it with very find sand paper?

Old 10-18-08, 05:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Upvotes: 0
It's hard to say without seeing it but I'm sure of one thing. I wouldn't spray it.

I know that talking to Ikea is like talking to the table itself but it might be worth a call to see if they can at least tell you what material was used on the table and hopefully, what you can do with it.

Old 10-18-08, 07:18 PM
R
Hi Pulpo,
Here are a few snaps of what it looks like:

Closeup of the edges, seems like laminated.

This is what the bottom of the sides look like, not the top piece, but after all I think it is probably the same thing everywhere:

Old 10-19-08, 06:02 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
It looks like it's pressboard, so I searched google for refinising pressboard and another thread in this forum was one of the results.

http://forum.doityourself.com/showthread.php?t=349222

Repeat the search for other options. It seems like a lot of work.

If you decide to use stain instead of paint, I like Zars as opposed to Min Wax.

Old 10-19-08, 09:17 AM
S
There are two questions I'd have here.Is the covering of the pressboard real wood and what is the finish on top of it if it is real wood?

If it's some sort of vinyl or anything like that you can't put finishing products on it.You'll just have a mess on your hands.

Assuming it's real wood then you'd want to use a tinted polyurethane product and you'd want to test it on an out of the way spot to make sure it was going to turn out ok and not react to whatever is already on the surface.You'd be looking not only for appearances but to be certain there won't be any bubbling,reaction to the surface and the it will dry properly.

You do not want to use any sort of stripper or any other solvent product on this peice until you are sure of what it is covered with.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: