bubble under formica counter top

Old 11-10-08, 10:24 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 71
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
bubble under formica counter top

It seems as if water has seeped under the seal of the edge of the formica counter top. The area has begun to bubble up. What can I do to fix this area? I cant rip it out, but is there anything else I can do.
Old 11-10-08, 04:42 PM
XSleeper's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Dec 2004
Posts: 27,312
Received 1,975 Upvotes on 1,771 Posts
You can rarely get contact cement to work in such a situation, so you might try using a syringe that has a plastic nozzle that you can cut open like a tube of caulk- squirt a little water in there first, then inject some Gorilla glue (or titebond polyurethane) into the opening along the edge. The water helps it cure. Buy yourself a 3-way clamp (throat opens as wide as 2 1/2", clamps the top and bottom edges of the countertop, while the third will exert horizontal pressure on the face of the countertop.) Keep it clamped overnight. Trim off the excess glue w/ a razor blade. Hopefully that'll help, provided the substrate doesn't deteriorate from repeated wetting.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: