Repeat paint failure on wood, Please help

Old 11-13-08, 07:45 AM
V
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Repeat paint failure on wood, Please help

We recently bought a board to make a retail counter with. The guy at the store recommended doing a painted texture on it, so we put 2 spray cans of rustoleom textured on it (1,2 layers). It looked spotty. I recommended using regular paint but my husband wanted to try two more cans (3, 4 layers.) It still looked spotty after that.

We went back to the store and got recommended black paint after we told them what we had used/done. We bought it and applied and it looked the same. Come to find from other stores most spray cans are oil-based and the black paint (now the 5th layer) was latex. We were recommended to buy oil based primer (which they tinted gray, 6th layer) and then put black latex over that (7 layer). On the primer can it says you can put latex paint on it.

So now instead it looks spotty/streaky. I'm sick of wasting my time and money on this.

A. Should I try another coat of latex paint?
B. Flip the board over, use the gray primer and black latex paint
C. Get a different board
D. Come up with a different concept (please tell me ideas) (we cant use glass.)

Thanks to all who respond. I appreciate it!

Old 11-13-08, 02:48 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
OK let me try this again

Welcome to the forums!

I'm not sure I understand what you want the finished product to look like
Could you supply a pic? preferabbly both of what you have and what you want it to look like.
use a free site like Image hosting, free photo sharing & video sharing at Photobucket

I assume it looks bad because of uneven texture. Because it's wood, you might should have primed it first - that would allow the texture to be obsorbed/dried more consistently. It would probably be best to either sand down what you have or start over on the other side.

Most oil primers can be top coated with latex but the primer won't do much if applied over latex that was applied over oil base enamel.

If you can supply us with a little more info - hopefully we can help you better

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: