soild interior stain??

Old 11-17-08, 11:35 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
soild interior stain??

I have a coffee table that is in severe need of refinishing. I want to make the legs darker, (almost paint dark)than the top and I have stripped and sanded the legs down, I was loking for an interior solid stain and couldn't find on. I settled for a penetrating oil based stain, color Ebony, but it is not dark enough. My question is, can I use an exterior solid stain and still put a finish coat of ply on the legs? or should I continue to apply the penetrating stain and rub off? I have 3 coats of stain on so far and it still is far from dark? suggestions?? thanks

Old 11-17-08, 03:29 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
I suppose you could use an exterior oil base solid stain but I'm not sure how it would react when you apply the poly. IMO a better solution would be to apply a dark tinted poly over the stain. Tinted poly [like minwax polyshades] can be tricky to apply. It must be applied evenly! Any runs or areas that recieve more tint will be darker, missed or light spots will be lighter. It isn't a coating that responds well to over brushing or touch up.

It's doubtfull the wood will accept more penetrating stain.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: