Didgeredoo Repair Help!!!

Old 12-03-08, 09:51 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Didgeredoo Repair Help!!!

So my girlfriend bought a didge in aussieland and it cracked on the plane ride home. I have set out to repair it for her christmas present. I am an amateur woodworker and don't really know the correct steps to getting this done but im good with my hands and im always down for a new project. Right now I think it has a layer of primer on it but its a nasty brown color.

My plans
Sand, sand, sand
Fill cracks
sand
stain
sand
paint
sand
polycrylic
sand
poly
sand
poly

Questions to ya'll-
1. What should I use to fill the cracks? I was going to use wood glue mixed with saw dust. Any suggestions?
2. I want to stain but paint over it. Do I need a primer? How do I go about this properly.

Any other suggestions or steps to make this process easier or finish with a higher quality would be greatly appreciated.

Old 12-04-08, 08:09 AM
B
Also what kind of paint should I use? I was going to go to the craft store and get some there? Should that work well?

Old 12-04-08, 03:51 PM
J
We don't get a lot of call for finishing those things, but wood is wood. Since it sounds like you are beginner, I would recommend a book that has been a big help to me over the years, hope it is still in print, "Understanding Wood Finishing", by Flexner. As to your project, I would probably not paint it, I prefer to see the natural wood, maybe some painted accents are OK. And I tend to be old school so I would not use a water based finish.

Good luck with your project.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: