*New to site* Stained Kitchen cabinets and....EW!!

Old 12-24-08, 07:43 AM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
*New to site* Stained Kitchen cabinets and....EW!!

Hey guys!

So I stained my kitchen cabinets on Sunday (Dec. 21) and now it is Wednesday (Dec. 24, Merry Christmas!) and 80% is dry. However, the places that are not completely dry are sticky and omgoodness, the fumes are a nightmare! How long can this take? I am beginning to regret doing this because we're having to live in these disgusting fumes! If I'd known how strong this was going to be, I would have never done this. Any suggestions on how to get the odor out? Will it go away as soon as the rest of the stain has finished drying?

P.S. This was my first time doing anything like this. *Sigh* You live and you learn.

Oh and I used Miniwax Stains. I didn't know that waterbased would have been better, smell wise. I should have researched this before I went and got it.

Thanks!

Old 12-24-08, 11:58 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

We need a little more info. Are these new cabinets? or did you strip off the original finish and then restained?

Penetrating stains are forumulated to be mostly obsorbed by raw wood with the excess wiped off. The stain is generally dry in 12-24 hrs although damp or cool conditions can extend the drying time.

Old 12-24-08, 08:38 PM
E
Hey!

Thank you for the welcome.

They were already stained and finished with a different color beforehand. I sanded them and then added MiniWax Red Mahagony. Unfortunately the oil based. I did not realize it should have been water based. Oh well.

It has been quite cold here (for the South) 30's and 40's, and raining. But supposed to get up to 50 tomorrow, so hopefully that'll help?

Also, I did wipe the excess off after about 5-10 minutes. I hope I got off enough...

Lol, I feel like brain cells are dying as I type. The smell is SO strong!

Beer 4U2

Old 12-25-08, 07:15 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I suspect you didn't remove all the previous finish which hinders the obsorbtion of the stain by the wood. Heat and a little air movement will speed up the drying some. Fresh air ventiltion [and time] is about the only cure for the smell.

If you can spray a light coat of poly over the stain, that will allow you to proceed sooner. Using a brush may rewet the stain and move it around
If you don't have access to spray equipment, you can get a couple cans of poly in spray cans and lightly coat it that way.

Old 12-25-08, 09:30 AM
E
Does the Poly spray have an odor?

Beer 4U2

Old 12-25-08, 11:21 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, all paints/polys have an odor with solvent based coatings having a stronger [more offensive] odor than latex or waterborne.

Latex/waterborne coatings should not be applied over an oil base stain until the stain is 100% dry.

Old 12-25-08, 02:11 PM
E
Ok. Thanks so much for the help! Next time I have a project on my hands, I know I need to check out the internet for advise first.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: