Staining and Poly finish: Rag or brush applicator?

Old 12-29-08, 02:23 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Staining and Poly finish: Rag or brush applicator?

So I plan on staining the doors and trim in a home project I am working on. I will finish with satin or semi-gloss polyU. My question relates to the best technique for application. Should I use a brush, followed by a rag to wipe off the excess? Or, should I just apply with the rag to begin with?

The doors are 6 panel HD specials, and the trim has a small amount of detail (ie, not just clam shell molding).

How do the pros do it?

Thanks,
Guy

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-08, 05:47 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 295 Votes on 261 Posts
I usually apply the stain with a brush and then wipe off the excess. IMO that is faster than doing it all with a rag..... although on some jobs, I'll spray and wipe the stain and then spray the sealer/poly.

Stain and seal any of your loose trim before installation - you can keep the wall cleaner that way

Inspect your doors before staining. Sometimes there will be some glue residue which will need to be scraped/sanded off so the wood will accept stain.

Old 12-30-08, 08:50 AM
Super Moderator
Received 3 Votes on 3 Posts
Another question you may want to ask of the Pro's.

Should you use a pre-stain wood conditioner? I'm presuming these are probably pine 6 panel doors? I'm not sure of the answer, but I figured I'd bring it up.

I've seen some pretty annoyed people because the pine didn't absorb the stain as evenly as they wanted.