cedar wardrobe


Old 07-15-00, 01:39 PM
Visiting Guest
Posts: n/a

I have a cedar wardrobe that has a finish on it that had bubbled. What is the recommended method of removing this finish. Would it be best to sand it or use a paint or varnish remover. I'm not sure what the finish is but it is clear. Thanks for your help
Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-00, 04:38 PM
George's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Hill, Va. USA
Posts: 2,890
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

This is one of those situations where what you want to do will determine the best

If the piece generally looks good (except for the finish) and all you want to do is refinish it, no stains, etc., you will be better off sanding the piece completely. If the finish is from the factory, it's lacquer. After sanding all the marks off you can recoat using an aerosole lacquer. If you're not sure of the finish test a small hidden area with a rag dampened with lacquer thinner. Rub gently. If the rag starts to stick or drag, the finish is lacquer.

If you want to change the finish to a varnish or polyurethane, you must strip.

George T.
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: