refinishing wicker

Old 07-19-00, 07:49 PM
Visiting Guest
Question

I recently bought a white wicker bench in great condition except for the paint chipping, how should I approach this problem. Strip it entirely, if so with what or try to paint over it. P.S> It appears to have never been exposed to outside elements and I do not intend it for it to. Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-20-00, 07:10 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Dcat:

Do yourself a favor - the chair needs to be stripped and you need to take it somewhere to have it done. Unless you've got the patience of Job, you won't finish stripping it yourself, even if you start. Wicker and rush furniture are bears to strip. I do all my stripping in my shop by hand - and I won't take wicker or rush furniture.

As far as a finish after you get the piece back, paint or lacquer, your choice. Buy a good brand in an aerosol and have at it. Spraying is really the only way to penetrate teh mesh in this type of furniture. Trying to brush paint will only result in caking the paint on too heavily.

Be aware that even inside, the piece will probably need redoing in 10 years or less if it's used for anything other than decoration. Rush and wicker flex -when some sits on a piece, they bend the material and the finish that's on it. Paint and lacquer or flexible enough to take this abuse for a time, but not forever.

------------
George T.