Replacing euro hinges

Old 01-22-09, 09:34 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Replacing euro hinges

Looking for some advice on next steps. My bathroom vanity door was rubbing against the adjacent drawers so I took a look thinking I could make a quick adjustment. What I found was that the previous owner of my home had completely stripped the left/right adjustment screw on both hinges AND replaced one of the in/out screws with a small bolt - making it impossible to adjust when the two hinge parts are connected. Unable to adjust the existing hinges to alleviate the problem, I decided to pic up some new ones. I brought one of the old hinges with me (both pieces) and found a perfect match size wise. The adjustment screws were in slightly different places, but again the size of each side of the hinge is exactly the same. Now comes the fun part...

I don't believe the euro hinges that were stripped and modified were the original hinges for this door. From the picture below you can see there are bored holes right where the screws for the inside plate would go. Instead, the screws and plate were just inside of those bored holes and barely biting into any wood at all. I tried putting the new hinges on but when I line them up with the holes from the previous ones it is almost impossible to get the two hinge parts to get a solid connection and have the door close.

What can I do to mount the new hinges. The plate seems to need to be screwed in right where the bored holes are at.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Old 01-24-09, 10:38 AM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
The vanity cabinet appears to be a 'frameless' style. If the cabinet had a face frame, I'd suggest going with traditional style hinges. Without a face frame, there is no place to attach the hinge.

Another option, in order to use the hinges you have, is to move the hinge location to another location. For instance, the top hinge can move down. And, if there is a problem with the bottom hinge, move it up. You route out the the door to accommodate the European style cup hinge in its new location and drill new holes inside the cabinet.

The side of the cabinet does not look 3/4" thick, more like 1/2". If you think about it, 1/2" reduces the amount of depth that a crew can dig into for a sturdy attachment on a busy hinge.

One should never use the door to support oneself or to pull oneself up from the floor when looking for something beneath the vanity. Believe it or not, broken hinges on kitchen sink bases are often a result of the homemaker sitting on the kitchen door while doing the dishes!

Old 01-24-09, 02:13 PM
Thanks for the reply twelvepole. Moving the hinges seems like a valid solution. I just hope moving both in (top one down, bottom one up) will not reduce their overall strength.

No chance I could glue some plugs in those bore holes and just screw the plates into them huh? The door is 21"x24" and 1/2".

Old 01-24-09, 05:27 PM
T
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
In the photo there appears to be some mighty big holes. With holes that large, you will need a wooden dowel the size to fill the hole. Use wood glue. For smaller holes, you can use wooden match sticks or toothpicks and wood glue. Do not try to screw in the screw until the glue thoroughly sets up.

Old 02-06-09, 09:53 PM
Twelvepole thanks for the suggestions. I was able to use 3/8 wood dowels to plug the holes (Gorilla glued in then sawed off flush) and successfully mounted the new hinge plates where they needed to be.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: