Need some help getting started with kitchen cabinet refinishing

Old 01-31-09, 07:37 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need some help getting started with kitchen cabinet refinishing

Morning to everyone. I have an oak kitchen that I want to refinish. Right now it is a med. golpden oak, and I would like to try to make it look "distressed" or "aged"...without painting over the actual wood, as i love the wood, don't want to go melamine or with an actual "painted" look. Have been looking onlline for ages trying to find out how to do this. Is it even do able? I'm aiming for a look that is unique but not too over the top......nothing that i'd have to change in a year because its too dated. Would love some help getting pointed in the right direction.

Old 01-31-09, 09:30 AM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
You will first need to thoroughly clean and degrease the cabinets. Many recommend TSP (trisodium phosphate), ammonia and water, or other to degrease and achieve a thoroughly clean surface. You will want to get a few boards and experiment with different methods of distressing until you find a technique that produces the results you like. Beating with a heavy chain, a bicycle sprocket chain, scratching with a nail, dropping a can of beans on the wood, etc. can provide you with varying results. If you have a vision of the type of distressed look you want, then you will have to be creative to come up with a method to achieve it. Once you have decided on your M. O., then you can go ahead with distressing the doors.

Then, you will need to lightly sand cabinet finish with 180 grit sandpaper to provide tooth for good adhesion. If distressing has raised the wood too much in areas, then sand down if you prefer. Then, to change the color of the cabinets, you can apply a couple coats of tinted urethane like the one offered by Minwax. Read and follow label directions.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: