wood dining room table heat damage mar

Old 01-31-09, 08:17 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wood dining room table heat damage mar

Hey,, my first post,,

Guess I should say first, thank you to those who operate this site so that we can all benefit from each others knowledge.

I have made a mistake. Today I, for the first time, used an iron-on t-shirt transfer to make a shirt to wear to a superbowl party.

When I was done, I found I have a heat mark on my table now! It's not real bad,, in fact you can only notice it if you look at it at just the right angle in the light. It kind of just "dulled" the finish,, but you can also feel a difference in the table where the mark is.

The mark is an exact replica of the design I was ironing onto the shirt, not just a heat mark, you can see the exact shape/pattern I put onto the shirt.

Like an idiot, I didn't have anything under the shirt.. In my defense, it was at my wife's logic of ".. well, it'll burn the shirt before it will damage the table so go ahead" I should've known better though.

When I pulled the shirt off the table, it was stuck a little bit to the table. I'm hoping that maybe this isn't permanent..?

Any ideas or suggestions? I've done some general searching on the internet and found fixes ranging from slathering mayonnaise on the stain, to hitting it with a steam iron(again) to using steel wool

Thank you for any help

Matt

Old 02-01-09, 06:56 AM
Group Moderator
Received 265 Upvotes on 216 Posts
Welcome!

Skip the steel wool and iron. Start with a very mild polishing compound. One household short-cut is toothpaste, but it needs to be a plain generic type, which will have the same characteristics of the polishing compound. The heat damage is similar to water spots/damage, so you can Google up those cures as well.

Old 02-03-09, 06:59 AM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Ok, thanks! I will look those up as well.

I thought that it was strange that the only marks on the table are the exact image on the decal I was ironing onto the shirt,, even though when I ironed it on I'm sure the surrounding areas got just as hot.
I suppose that the dye/ink or whatever must have gotten hotter than the surrounding fabric.

So, what do I do with the toothpaste? Just gently rub it on the mark then buff off with a soft cloth like a microfiber towel I use to detail the car?

I'd really rather try all solutions like this before I use the iron, and any kind of steel wool would be a last-resort only attempt

Thank you again for the help!
Matt

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: