butcher block repair?

Old 02-13-09, 06:54 AM
K
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
butcher block repair?

Hi all,
DH just bought an old maple butcher block table off Craigslist. Dimensions are 30 x 36 x 11 deep and near enough to 300 pounds. It's in pretty good shape but for one crack which is just wide enough for some crud to hide in (maybe 1/8 inch) and goes from one edge to the center of the top of the table and down the side. I'd like to scrape the crud out of the crack, fill it in and refinish. Can I do that? And what should I use to fill it in? Mineral oil to finish?

Thanks!
Kathy

Sponsored Links
Old 02-13-09, 08:53 AM
T
I have made quite a few butcher blocks and the best way to refinish them is to sand it all down first. Then clean out that crack like you said. The best think to fill it with is 100% natural bees wax. Melt it down and fill the crack, then with mineral oil, wipe the whole block down. Use some elbow grease around the crack to buff the bees wax smooth. Dont be shy with the mineral oil either. Apply a heavy coat wait 20 min., wipe off and repeat 2 more times. For final application melt some more bees wax with a little mineral oil, and buff the whole block.

Old 02-24-09, 03:45 PM
C
I haven't dealt with Beeswax very much, so that may be a better idea than my sugguestion, but I would think about using epoxy. I would sand it down and clean out the crack like suggested. Then, you can actually add stain to your epoxy to color it to match the wood. You can then fill the crack with epoxy, making sure to over fill it just a little bit, so if any shrinkage occurs you will not have a low spot or dip. Then you can sand the epoxy down flush with the rest of the table. I would also suggest using masking tape along the bottom to make sure the epoxy stays in the crack and doesn't run out.

Epoxy will be a very hard and durable material that will help seal the crack and hopefully prevent it from cracking further. That way if you accidentally gouge the table with a knife or something, the epoxy won't give like beeswax might.

Old 03-12-10, 09:11 AM
M
Beeswax

Beeswax sounds like a food friendly way to fill in the cracks on a butcher block table. Where would I find a reasonably priced container? Would it be a good idea to mix in some of the wood dust from sanding the table? I bought a huge old Butcher Block table that was left out in the elements and there are a lot of hairline separations along the seams.

I was thinking of mixing the oil, wax and dustl up and using a scraper to run the mixture along the entire top of the table, letting it dry and then sanding. Does that sound right??
Thanks for the advise.
Mystified in LA!!
-M

Old 04-02-10, 09:22 AM
M
cheap beeswax

buy a toilet wax ring. they are often made of beeswax and only a fraction of the cost that you'll find the head-shop charges.