where to buy lacquer

Old 02-15-09, 10:46 AM
K
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
where to buy lacquer

hi all, we are in the middle of a kitchen renovation and we want to paint our cabinets a matte black using lacquer (and not in a spray can, we will rent a sprayer). we can't find it anywhere, anyone know if it can be ordered online? we've tried home depot, lowes, sherman williams, benjamin moore and a few local paint stores with no success. Thanks.

Old 02-15-09, 11:39 AM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
No paint pro...but I think lacquer paints are more an Automotive thing? At least they used to be....

You should get some other replies soon...

Old 02-15-09, 12:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I'm a little suprised that SWP didn't have or couldn't order it. You might talk to a couple of the local cabinet shops and ask where they buy their lacquer coatings.

What type of sprayer do you intend to rent? An airless wouldn't be a good choice for lacquer.

Old 02-16-09, 03:16 AM
B
You can try going online manufacture's websites (like M.L. Campbell is a leading North American manufacturer and distributor of professional wood finishing products specializing in spray lacquers and stains. or googling "gemini lacquer"). your local SW store probably will not carry lacquers unless their competition is. You would have to go through their industrial sales division. FYI, SW is not known for it's pigmented lacquers. You may be able to find away to ship it you, however it will be expensive. For example, we will ship using a local carrier because FEDEX and UPS will not take it. To ship you 1 gallon will run you about $20 in just shipping fess because it is a hazardous material.

If you rent a sprayer, airless or otherwise, you had better make sure it is very clean. Buy new filter for the manifold and gun. Then run about 5 gallons of HOT water through it, then 5 gallons of denatured alcohol and then about 5 gallons of lacquer thinner. You MUST get rid of any residue latex in that pump.

An airless will work, but don't use it inside your house. The overspray will be too much. if you really wanted to, go out an purchase a decent cup gun system. look to spend at least $300.

Old 02-17-09, 03:24 AM
B
I didn't mean for the m.l. campbell link to pull the information from the header of the website. I was just trying to give the URL. I would have done the same for gemini, but I don't know it off the top of my head.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: