Best budget HVLP gun?

Old 02-23-09, 12:23 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Best budget HVLP gun?

I am in the market for a budget cost HVLP gravity feed spray gun to use with my compressor. I am not a professional and will be using this gun for projects such as spraying a wood fence and finishing furniture. I am tired of using a paint brush for painting my projects, such as beds, cribs, and other small projects that have a lot of corners and nooks. I always end up with brush marks too. My compressor specs are 30 gal tank, 2HP motor, cast iron pump, 5.5 SCFM output at 90 psi. I am not interested in an airless sprayer, just something to go with my compressor. I would also like some recommendations on spray painting furniture. I hear from everyone that you shouldn't spray latex with a HVLP gun. So if this is the case, what do I use with a HVLP gun to paint furniture? Also, if possible, I wouldn't mind trying to spray polyurethanes.

I have a few guns I have been looking at, but am open to suggestions. Here are the guns I have considered:

Porter Cable PSH 1- probably at the top of my budget, but looks like a good one. I would prefer something cheaper though.

Grizzly HVLP- they have a bunch of models, one is at $29 and has replacement tips of various opening sizes. I am leaning towards this one. I read one review that said these guns work great, but that was for auto paint.

Harbor Freight- I have heard good things about certain HF models but I am not sure if tips are available

Husky- Home Depot has a gun at $60, made by CH I think, but I don't think they have replacement tips.

Please keep in mind that I am not a professional and am not willing to invest a lot of money to try my hand at spray painting. Any experience or recommendations is greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Old 02-23-09, 04:19 PM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Upvotes on 210 Posts
I'm in the middle of a fairly large entertainment center project (this one: Woodsmith Magazine - Flat Screen Media Center) and I'm not exactly looking forward to the finishing, so I'm toying with the same idea. Rockler has one at $119.99 that gets very high marks from dozens of reviewers, plus I've done business with Rockler for many years and have always been very satisfied with them. Just not sure if I want to spring for that much $$$ first time out.

Old 02-23-09, 04:47 PM
Group Moderator
Did some more surfing since you got me thinking. Now I'm leaning toward a gun to use with my existing compressor; Porter Cable has one that also seems to get high marks.

Old 02-23-09, 08:42 PM
C
Yeah,
I think if I was going to spend $100, I would get the Porter Cable for sure. It has very good ratings on Amazon, plus you can get replacement nozzles for it. I would just like to spend a little less. I just want to hear if anyone has had any experience with the Grizzly guns, or other cheap guns.

Old 02-23-09, 08:44 PM
Group Moderator
After browsing a bit I have to wonder about a $29 gun.

Old 02-24-09, 03:47 AM
B
watch your cfm consumption on te gub you buy. a good hvlp gun will consume a lot of air. some are upwards or 9-11cfm. make sure you are looking at HVLP and not conventional. Also, what do you want to spray? clear finishes or paint? some of those guns you are looking at cannot spray paint very well because you can't get a big enough needle set. clear finishes and stains MAY not be a problem.

Old 02-24-09, 04:19 AM
Group Moderator
I would likely shoot MinWax Polycrylic.

Old 02-24-09, 05:16 AM
I bought a Wagner HVLP gun - has a built in turbine so additional compressor isn't needed (it's electric).

Had it for about 18 months - does the job and no problems. Have sprayed paint, stains and both lacquer & poly finishes.

Under $80 when I bought it.

Old 02-24-09, 10:25 AM
C
I would like to be able to spray both paint and finishes. However, I keep hearing that there's no way to spray paint using HVLP guns. How do professionals paint their furniture, such as mass production places like pottery barn? They always have very smooth painted finishes that are flawless.

A couple of the guns I am looking at have nozzle sizes up to 2.0 to 2.2 mm. I have read that the 2.2 mm nozzle works well with latex paint. Are there other colored paints which spray better that work well for furniture?

Old 02-25-09, 05:31 PM
B
pigmented lacquers work great.

Old 03-14-09, 09:39 AM
Group Moderator
Update

Update on my project and spray gun choice. I finally broke down and bought a gravity feed spray gun kit from H-D. It's the $79.95 one that has both a standard and a HVLP gun plus two cups, some filter funnels, cleaning tools, etc. and a storage case for everything. Been shooting Polycrylic on my entertainment center project yesterday and today and so far I'm very pleased. Should have bought spray equipment a long time ago.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: