is too much stain bad?

Old 03-28-09, 07:54 PM
G
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
is too much stain bad?

I am finishing some shelves with cherry stain and then plan to apply poly. Would applying too many coats of stain affect adhesion of the poly? I just noticed that shelves I had previously finished have areas where the poly is pealing up. Any thoughts?

Thanks!!!

Old 03-29-09, 04:28 AM
B
yes, too much stain is bad. You need to wipe off all the stain that does not penetrate the wood. if you leave the stain on it will dry and leave the pigment on the surface of wood. The finish sticks to this pigment, not to the wood. The pigment does not stick to anything. Once stress is applied to the substrate, then the finish will likely pop off.

Old 03-29-09, 04:34 AM
G
Thanks for the reply.

One more question; if there aren't any shiney spots is it safe to assume the stain penetrated the wood?

Old 03-29-09, 04:56 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 430 Votes on 384 Posts
As long as you wipe off the stain shortly after you apply it, there shouldn't be any concerns. generally if there are shiny spots - you didn't wipe off the stain well.

If you use an oil base varnish/poly there shouldn't be a peeling problem. If too much stain is used, the poly will lift the excess stain [usually making a mess] and should bond to the wood. If using a waterbased poly, the stain must be good and dry [with no excess] or the poly won't bond with the wood.

Old 03-29-09, 05:41 AM
G
Thanks guys.

I used a water based stain and plan on using a water based poly.

I applied the stain with a rag instead of a brush this time. I just checked and there are not a shiney areas.

So I guess I am ready to apply poly

Thanks again guys.

Old 03-29-09, 05:44 AM
G
oooooppppsss! I just realized that I am using an oil based stain (minwax 235). Does that change anything????

Old 03-29-09, 06:20 AM
Group Moderator
Received 997 Votes on 908 Posts
Minwax wood finish needs a minimum of 8 hours to dry before finishing. I prefer to wait 24 hours before finishing so that all the solvents can evaporate.

According to the FAQ on Minwax's website, "Red Mahogany" is the only oil based color that should not be coated with a water based finish. Perhaps it has iron oxides in the color that react poorly with the waterborne finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: