Finishing a new set of wood stairs.

Old 04-03-09, 06:57 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Finishing a new set of wood stairs.

We had a company build and install new stairs and railing in our house for a basement remodel we're doing. The new stairs are comprised of Oak treads, primed risers, oak top and bottom rails, oak posts, and primed blasters.

The only mistake I've made to date is walking on the stairs with black soled shoes so question #1 is:
How do I remove the scuff marks?

My other questions pertain to finishing.

What is the suggested Polyurethane for finishing the hand rails and posts and how many coats typically?

What type of paint should I use for the balasters and stair risers?

Lastly, what type of coating should I use for the stair treads and how many coats?

Thanks!
Stosh

Old 04-03-09, 04:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
Denatured alchol should remove the scuff marks. You'll probably want to do a little sanding also - be sure to only sand with the direction of the grain.

IMO the ideal way to finish a staircase is to do the majority of the work before installation. That way the stairs are only closed for a short while - it's easier too

But it's already installed so.... it woud be best to do all the stain and poly work first. I'd sand, dust and stain, then apply the 1st coat of poly. When dry, sand lightly, dust and apply the 2nd coat of poly. At that point I would start on the balusters and risers. Youn will probably need 2 coats of enamel. You can use latex, oil base or waterborne. Waterborne enamel would be my choice even though it costs the most. It dries as hard as oil enamel and quickly like latex. It also washes up with soap and water.

After the painting is done inspect the stained wood for any paint specks. Gently scrape them off and then sand te poly lightly with 220 grit, dust and apply the final coat of poly.

I almost forgot - you need to putty any nail holes before painting and caulk where the riser meets the skirt board [assuming it's painted] The stained wood should be puttied after the 1st coat of poly has dried.

You can use either oil base or water based polyurathane. Oil base will wear longer [dries harder] but will deepen the stain colors. Personally I like this effect, it also ambers some with age - mostly noticable with light stains. Water base poly dries quicker and cleans up with water. It makes no changes to the wood or stain, won't yellow but doesn't wear as good.

Old 04-04-09, 03:46 AM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
wow thank you, that is very helpful!!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: