Bathroom Vanity Upgrade Advice Needed

Old 05-18-09, 07:28 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Bathroom Vanity Upgrade Advice Needed

Fellow DIY-ers:

I have an old 70's-style vanity that's 24" x 21" (I tried to post a picutre but I don't have anywhere to post it to). I want to replace it with something more modern. I have two challenges to face:

1) The current vanity was mounted on the subflooring and was tiled around.

2) The basin sink is quite deep and I'd love to find a way to keep it.

The second issue isn't as big as the first. Most vanities these days use legs to stand-off the floor. I don't have the tiles on-hand to fill in beneath a new vanity (although I imagine I could try to find matching 4" white tiles). So, I thought I could try to find a cabinet that would also sit on the subfloor and I could remove tile to make it fit.

I'm not planning on replacing the toilet. I want to limit the project to the vanity and a matching mirror/shelf unit.

Can anyone share their wisdom/experiences with me before I go down the wrong path?

Thanks in advance!

DPSW

Old 05-18-09, 08:14 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
When we did our reno and added a new bathroom.. we couldnt find a nice solid vanity like you're talking about. We didnt go to the high-end design places mind you (cha-ching).
By word of mouth, we found a private cabinet-maker who was quite knowledgeable and quickly laid out a plan and style for us. Turned out about the price from the box stores (iirc $350 ?), but much nicer (we did all knotty pine).
Maybe you can find a local guy to fab you one ? Try and find reference.. there's hacks mixed in with the pros, Id think.

You'll probably have to stay with the same height as your existing (deep sink) unless you have room to add/remove pipes under there.

We just went with a big antique mirror for the wall.. but I know that appraisers/real estate says to put in-wall medicine cabinets nowdays.

Just my 002

Old 05-19-09, 04:42 AM
In order to set an image here follow these easy steps-->
1 - upload your picture to a free online photalbum like Photobucket or Flickr , for example
2 - Look for the link of your picture (usually, photoalbums provide a "link for a forum" script)
3 - Click the image icon above--> copy the link of your picture

Old 05-20-09, 08:31 PM
D
Thanks, Patricia!

Okay everyone, here's what I'm up against:

Also, DaveC72 -- thanks for the input. I'll seriously consider it!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: