waterbased stain/dye and finish to use on windows

Old 08-23-09, 03:08 PM
S
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
waterbased stain/dye and finish to use on windows

I just installed some new casements windows in my home and now need to do the finish work. I would like to spray apply the stain and finish using water based products.

The wood trim on the windows is pine and the trim will be oak. What products would you suggest I use? Would you recommend a sanding sealer be used first on the pine before applying the stain?

Any help/input you could give would be appreciated.

Old 08-24-09, 03:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 873 Upvotes on 764 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I've not used much latex stain and prefer the oil base stains and sealers/varnish.

Don't use sanding sealer first! It will prevent the wood from obsorbing the stain. There is no need to use a wood conditioner either since it's just a small area of pine -unlike pine doors or larger trim pieces]

Depending on the color of stain used, you might need 2 different stains to get the coloring to match between the oak and pine. The grain will always be different but you can get the coloring very close. If you have a scrap piece of both the pine and the oak, you can take them to your local paint store and they can help you match up what stains you need to use. They will also have a better selection of products to choose from than the big box paint department.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: