Have I made a mess???

Old 09-09-09, 07:39 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Have I made a mess???

Oh boy...where to start. I'm a complete novice but I tackled refinishing a dresser top. I sanded the finish down, restained the top with minwax stain and allowed it to dry for 48 hours. I then used the minwax spray polyurethane (satin) because I thought I would get a better result. Unfortunately, it didn't turn out that way. I put on a first coat and let it dry for 90 mins and then recoated a second time (The directions say to recoat within 2 hours.) The first coat actually looked ok. But when I put the second coat on it, it got a bit rough, almost like an aerosole film, and a bit cloudy. A day later, it doesn't look any better. Did I do something wrong? Might I have a better result if after a few more days of drying I lightly sand the top and use the brush on finish? I'm desperate fo help....so thanks in advance for your advice!

Old 09-09-09, 08:07 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,943 Upvotes on 1,745 Posts
When you applied the stain, did you wipe off the excess? Minwax instructions say, "be sure to wipe off excess stain with a clean cloth." Newbies often use stain as if it were paint and don't wipe it, which can create some problems with the finish.

Assuming you DID wipe it... is the finish dry? or is it still tacky? If it's tacky you probably put the first coat of finish on way too thick and coated it too soon.

But assuming it is dry... I would guess that you just need to sand between coats with 180 or 220 grit sandpaper, and apply a good coat of polyurethane with a china bristle brush. Those spray cans don't always give you a good finish on a large area. So I'd suggest you try light sanding, then brushing on another coat. Nothing should be ruined yet.

Brush in the direction of the grain, apply the poly as thin as possible, spreading it thin, working fast, keeping a wet edge, not brushing through the finish again and again as it gets tacky. That will just create brush strokes.

Old 09-10-09, 03:49 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks....one more question

Yep, I did wipe the stain off thoroughly. It felt dry to the touch and so did the first coat of the poly. Just to make certain I'm goig to let it dry the 72 hrs before sanding and do as you suggest with 180 grit. Would you recommend something other minwax, and, if I originally used satin can I switch to semi to give it a little better look. Thanks again for you advice!

Old 09-10-09, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 850 Upvotes on 746 Posts
I don't know if there are other brands available in a rattle can. There won't be any issues with switching to a different sheen.

It's been a long time since I've used a spray can of minwax poly but I'm sure while it says to recoat within 2 hrs, it probably continues to say after 4hrs [?] you must sand before recoating. It is almost always best to let the poly dry, sand and dust and then apply the next coat.

I've used a lot of minwax along with the various store brands and don't recall ever having any issues with minwax that were related to the coating itself. I mainly brush on poly although depending on the job I might spray but not with a rattle can.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: