reface cabinets with spray paint?

Old 09-20-09, 12:12 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
reface cabinets with spray paint?

using rust-oleum all surface spray paint on my cabinets, and now I wonder if it's going to peel off after a few months. Anyone else used this paint on laminate before?

spray painting cabinet doors on Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Old 09-20-09, 02:46 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 871 Upvotes on 762 Posts
It can be difficult to get paint to stick to laminate If you must paint laminate it is best to use a pigmented shellac primer like zinnser's BIN. Making sure the laminate is good and clean prior to priming is a must.

If you have already painted them - time will tell how they will wear, no reason to worry about until then

Old 09-21-09, 09:40 PM
Originally Posted by marksr
It can be difficult to get paint to stick to laminate If you must paint laminate it is best to use a pigmented shellac primer like zinnser's BIN. Making sure the laminate is good and clean prior to priming is a must.

If you have already painted them - time will tell how they will wear, no reason to worry about until then

I went ahead and did one to see how the coverage worked out, but actually I can easily take em all down, chuck em, and just paint the rest of the structures white and go with an open shelving style too. I just figured it wouldn't hurt to ask here in case someone had experience with it.

Is Zinnser's BIN hard to dispose of?

Old 09-22-09, 03:27 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
"Is Zinnser's BIN hard to dispose of?"

I'm not sure I understand. BIN like most paints isn't supposed to be thrown out with the trash but needs to be disposed of with other hazard materials [most locales provide this service a couple of times a year] Dried paint can usually be disposed of with regular trash.

Pigmented shellacs are alchol based and clean up with denatured alchol. BIN can be purchased in spray can form along with the normal quart or gallon cans.

Old 09-24-09, 06:32 AM
Originally Posted by marksr
"Is Zinnser's BIN hard to dispose of?"

I'm not sure I understand. BIN like most paints isn't supposed to be thrown out with the trash but needs to be disposed of with other hazard materials [most locales provide this service a couple of times a year] Dried paint can usually be disposed of with regular trash.

Pigmented shellacs are alchol based and clean up with denatured alchol. BIN can be purchased in spray can form along with the normal quart or gallon cans.
okie dokie. I remember that the rags used to clean up need to be properly stored until I can throw them out. Is that right or am i getting confused with something else?

Old 09-24-09, 12:51 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Any rag that gets saturated with any type of solvent [including rags used in applying oil base stain] must be stored/disposed of properly. Generally a metal can w/lid is used, preferably outside. If they are just throwed in a corner or pile there is a chance of spontaneous combustion

Old 09-25-09, 04:58 AM
Can't stress enough the danger in NOT properly disposing of rags -

I use a mixture of boiled linseed oil, turpentine and Japan drier in my shop bth as a base for stains I mix and as an oil finish. The percentage of linseed oil in this mix is higher than the products on the retail market - consequently more amenable to fire.

I use a gallon bucket half full of water to dispose of these rags. When I'm through for the day I remove the bucket from the shop and set it outside with the lid firmly in place.

The potential danger in an oil base stain is the rag drying out (the solvents evaporate) leaving only the vehicle (linseed oil) which is very amenable to spontaneous combustion.

All oil base stains I have seen on the retail market carry a warning in the instructions as to disposal of used rags - be safe or make darn sure your insurance is paid up.

Old 09-25-09, 06:19 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
"be safe or make darn sure your insurance is paid up"

I like that

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: