antique tables

Old 09-21-09, 08:35 PM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Florida--USA
Posts: 2
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
antique tables

I want to build a table from barn wood--I have seen tables with horizontal leg suports that are notched and sticking through the main legs--what tool do I use to put the holes in the main legs? Thank you.
Ron Jackson
Old 09-22-09, 04:43 AM
George's Avatar
Join Date: Dec 1999
Location: South Hill, Va. USA
Posts: 2,817
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Tools will vary depending on the actual style. Post a picture on photobucket or similar site and post a link here so we can see what you're trying to do.
Old 09-22-09, 05:01 AM
the_tow_guy's Avatar
Group Moderator
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: SW Fla USA
Posts: 12,297
Received 264 Upvotes on 215 Posts
Sounds like you are describing a through mortise-and-tenon joint (as opposed to a stub, or stopped, mortise where the end of the crosspiece is not visible).

The mortises can be done with a drill press & Forstner bit and cleaned up with a chisel. The stopped mortise is easier because any flaws are hidden by the shoulder of the tenon'ed piece. With a through mortise the joint itself is visible on the protruding part. Another way of doing it is to use a stopped joint and add fake ends.

Some photos here:

Tile Top End Table |

Go down to the "More Photos" section; you'll see one pic showing a piece being rough drilled on the drill press and another one of pieces laid out ready for assembly (the middle two photos). These are stopped mortises.

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 09-22-09 at 05:03 AM. Reason: Can't spell this morning

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: