Kitchen Cabinet Repaint Nightmare..HELP with Remodel

Old 09-28-09, 07:03 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Kitchen Cabinet Repaint Nightmare..HELP with Remodel

I am a long time poster, and member, just re-registered with a new name.

We have a large kitchen, that was 3 years old when we moved in. Pretty nice hickory cabinets, but the color did not go well with the custom built in's and other stuff that we remodeled in the house. Our house is fairly high end, not the fanciest, but in our area we are high end.

We wanted to make the cabinets white. About 76 doors and drawers in all. Had a painter come, who we got references for. his paint job was terrible. DIDNT really sand well before application, primes and put 2 oil coats on QUICKLY. Needless to say the pain job was crappy. It actually chipped off very easily when the SECOND painter came in to do the cleanup work.

The second painted got the paint off the bases, sanded well, and primed and painted, with oil based enamel.

The doors and drawers fronts were stripped by a cabinet shop, primed, and sprayed with an oil based enamel...Sounds great doesnt it.

The base cabinets show a bunch of imperfections, minor scrape marks, etc.

The doors show crap in the paint, almost in all the doors, you can see black through the grain on many of the doors. Overall, we could just put them up and be done with it, but it doesnt look anywhere near wheat cabinets should. they just dont look finished.

We are an undisclosed amount of $$$ down the toilet now. Its been 6 weeks, our house is a wreck, and need to get this done right. We dont want to rip out the bases and do all new caninets, we put in all new granite over a year ago.....more $$$

NOW, here the question: we are looking at replacing the cabinet fronts, and refacing the bases/frames. Not plastic laminate though.

Looking at all new doors and drawers, and getting the bases refaced with a matched veneer. Has anyone done this, or heared or doing this without having the bases replaced. We are looking at a NON-Plastic laminate. Would a wood veener stick on the bases, painted to match the fronts work?

Does anyone know someone that does this in the georgia area? I would doitmyself, but my surgical schedule has been so crazy, I cant tackle this project...PM me if you have ideas or think you can help...

Old 09-29-09, 03:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 876 Upvotes on 767 Posts
Welcome back to the forums!

Cabinets are refaced fairly often, check the yellow pages - I'm not sure how it would be listed

Can the doors be sanded and repainted to make them look right? Have you paid them in full? remember your check book is your best ally.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: