Restoring Hoosier Cabinet, Need Hardware Help

Old 10-28-09, 12:44 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Restoring Hoosier Cabinet, Need Hardware Help

I am restoring a Hoosier Cabinet and was very excited to see that some of the original hardware was still there (it has the original butterfly hinges and oval latches with the H.C.M stamp). However, some have been painted over and what hasn't been has just lost its original glory. Does anyone recommend a specific substance or anything? I know I can find reproduction hardware, but I want to keep the original if at all possible! Also, I will have to get a couple reproduction parts, and I was wondering what I should do about matching the finishes?
Thanks so much!

Old 10-29-09, 05:03 AM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
As you probably already know, Van Dyke's Restorations offers a wide line of reproduction hardware for these cabinets.

In restoring other types of hardware I have sometimes used aerosol lacquer toners (lacquer mixed with color). These aerosoles are normally used as shading stains to achieve a more uniform color in wood finishes, but they work well in some hardware applications, depending on the color.

Many of the readily available aerosoles offer chrome or silver sprays; the key to a uniform finish is the smoothness of the hardware itself.

In short, in order to get a uniform color match, you will probably have to coat ALL the hardware, whether new or orginal

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: