matching kitchen stains

Old 11-08-09, 10:43 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
matching kitchen stains

Hi my question is that I have some older cabinets in my kitchen about 10 years old. I am buying some new cabinets to add to the old ones. They are all Merillat light oak cabinets. The problem is the stain on the new cabinets are lighter being new and you can't buy unfinished Merillat cabinets so that I can just stain them to match. I want to know is there anything I can do or put on the new cabinets to get the finish to darken up or speed up the sun ageing process? The only other thing I can think is to refinish the old cabinets but there is more old ones then new ones. thanks

Old 11-09-09, 04:05 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

You could apply a coat of tinted poly like minwax's polyshades to darken the new cabinets. Check in a hidden area first to make sure it's compatible with the factory finish. Whenever you use a tinted poly it's best to top coat with a clear poly to prevent the tint from wearing off.

Tinted polys must be applied carefully! Runs, puddles, lap marks, etc will have more color and be unsightly. Missed or thin spots will be lighter. Tinted polys don't touch up well and shouldn't be overbrushed.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: