Faint white haze and Old English penetrating finish on oak table top

Old 12-01-09, 01:14 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Faint white haze and Old English penetrating finish on oak table top

My husband and I just purchased a used oak dining room table and 6 chairs that are approx. 10 years old. The table is georgous with a light oak stain, pedistal with claw feet. It looks like the table was built and finished in someone's shop. The chairs seem to be clear sealed factory finished. I plan to strip, sand, stain and seal the chairs to match the table. As we look at the table top more, we noticed a strange whiteish haze on the table top, but not on the leaf. I have tried to research if anyone else has seen this and I've found nothing. I wonder if the table was stored outside in the cold (Minnesota) too long or something else. My husband put Old English on it and now you can see the oil is penetrating the seal and down into the oak around the hazy areas making wet marks under the stain, the sealant looks like polyurethane to me. I wasn't planning on refinishing the table top until now. Any idea on what might have happened to the table? The set was barely used at all, almost like new.

Old 12-04-09, 04:42 AM
Where the Old English has penetrated the wood, there is NO finish (Old English won't penetrate a finish).

The finish has failed - the haze is probably caused by the Old English.

The solution is to strip and refinish the top. Removing the Old English may prove to be a problem. Household bleach may be the best for removing the Old English - use AFTER stripping the top so as to bleach the entire top.

Old 12-04-09, 09:32 AM
P
Wow, this sounds like more of a bummer than I thought. The white haze was there when we bought it, just didnt notice it until we got it home. The haze almost looks like a pickled finish, but I dont think thats what it is. I agree it is a failed finish. But removing the penetrated oil worrys me. I suppose it would cause the poly to not adhere in those areas if I don't. The real wierd thing is if you look at the top closely, and at an angle, it looks as if the entire top is sealed with no cuts or gaps for the oil to penetrate, otherwise I wouldnt have put it on. It has a satin finish, and it looks almost flawless, it's usually very obvious that the finish is missing and I cant see that. But it is what it is, I've got to stip it. Thanks for your post and your tips!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: