help with butcher block table repair?

Old 12-23-09, 04:34 PM
C
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
help with butcher block table repair?

Hi there -

A few months ago I bought an old Boos butcher block table that is 24"x24"x 12" from an antique/junk store. It weighs a ton. In the process of moving it into my house, the block started to separate and one night BOOM fell into 2 (heavy) pieces - 2 legs went with one piece, the other 2 with the other. at this point i have the 2 pieces held together with a large clamp - I'm trying to figure out a way to make it stable again for use (but yet it would be nice to be able to separate it back into 2 pieces if i need to move it.. it's super heavy). I'm thinking perhaps a bar across the bottom that could be screwed on, or perhaps one on the side also... any suggestions?
happy holidays

Old 12-24-09, 03:51 PM
C
How about a couple bolts through the butcher block about 6" from the top & 3"-4" in. It would take a long ship auger drill bit & a heavy duty 1/2" drill to turn it. I would use 1/2" minimum redi-bolt with a nut & washer on each end. They could be countersunk with a forstner bit or router with guide bushing to keep the nut & washer below the surface to avoid snagging clothes on the end of the bolt. Good luck

Old 12-26-09, 10:15 AM
S
If you plan on or think it's possible you might disassemble this often stay away from any solution that involves screws into the wood as eventually these spots will wallow out and no longer hold well enough.

The threaded rod idea would work or you could substitute long bolts if you can find those where you live.You might also be able to construct a wooden frame that was bolted together if you don't want to bore all the way through the block.

Old 02-24-10, 04:33 PM
C
thanks!

somehow i missed these responses - thank you both for your help.. the more i look at it the more i think it's good to hire a professional

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: