water damage repair?

Old 01-17-10, 04:08 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question water damage repair?

Hi, I had a pipe bust in my attic and flood my kitchen. Our vinyl tiled floor has to be removed and the base cabinets have to be removed since there is water under the floor. Some of the cabinets got wet and while they look structually sound I worry that taking them out and putting them back in may not be possible. They were VERY cheap unfinshed oak cabinets with particle board backs, sides, and bottoms. We primed and painted them. We also have a laminate countertop which we were told could be re-used. It is siliconed down to the cabinets and we also have a very heavy enamel coated cast iron sink that is siliconed to the countertop. My question is can these cabinets and the countertop be succesfully taken out and reused without any damage keeping them looking just like new or do you think that for the cost we should just get new ones? The cost to take them out and reinstall in about $1900.00 the original cost of cabinets was $2800.00 plus installation.

Old 01-19-10, 07:17 PM
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
On cheaper cabinets, the first sign of water damage would be swelling of the wood at the base of the cabinet where it sets on the floor. If there is no swelling of the wood chances are that the side panels are made of plywood.
If there is swelling, replacement is more practical than attempting to repair the cabinets.
If there is no swelling and subsequent checking finds the panels to be plywood, saving the cabinets is far more cost effective than replacing them.
If, as you said, the panels are particle board and they haven't swelled from moisture, then it's a toss up.

CD

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: