Reducing gloss on kitchen cabinets

Old 02-08-10, 11:58 AM
Thread Starter
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 1
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Reducing gloss on kitchen cabinets

I'm attempting to reduce the high gloss on my kitchen cabinets. I'm not sure if the builder added the finish or a previous owner lacquered over them. The house is 15 years old. I've tried mineral spirits and nothing happened. A friend suggested lacquer retarder. Any suggestions? Where do you purchase lacquer retarder?
Old 02-16-10, 12:17 PM
Join Date: Nov 2004
Location: USA
Posts: 1,823
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Lacquer retarder is an additive for lacquer and does not appear to give the effects you are looking for.

Are you certain lacquer is the finish?Polyurethane would be far more common.

Ultimately you might have to recoat the cabinets with a lower sheen poly or lacquer to get the desired effect.

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Ask a Question
Question Title:
Your question will be posted in: