How do I darken a stained door.

Old 02-12-10, 04:01 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How do I darken a stained door.

I recently replaced the interior doors in my home. I stained them a colonial maple. They seemed to turn out an orange color, nothing like the color chart at the store. My question is this: How can I give them a brown hue without stripping and re-staining them? Is there any rub that I can apply to accomplish this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 02-12-10, 04:41 PM
Is this the color your seeing on your door? It's what colonial maple is supposed to look like.

Sometimes the color charts in the store have a very condensed format and its hard to spot which label belongs to which chip.
But with stain, the color you wipe on is the color you get.
Although standard poly will put on an orange tint on very pale colors, but there are clear formulas.

There isn't any method to change the color once finish is applied, the pigment in the stain needs to be distributed in the open woodgrain in order to create a consistant appearance. Any further application of color after build coats will look like a thinned out paint job. Even the tinted poly stuff.

Old 02-13-10, 05:43 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
You can use a tinted poly like minwax's polyshades to darken the door. How much darker do you want to go? Tinted poly is a little harder to apply than regular clear poly. Lap marks, drips, runs,etc will all have more color. Missed spots will be lighter and tinted polys can't be over brushed or touched up so a lot of care should be given to application process.

Old 02-13-10, 07:25 AM
???

Originally Posted by marksr View Post
You can use a tinted poly like minwax's polyshades to darken the door. How much darker do you want to go? Tinted poly is a little harder to apply than regular clear poly. Lap marks, drips, runs,etc will all have more color. Missed spots will be lighter and tinted polys can't be over brushed or touched up so a lot of care should be given to application process.
Hey Marksr... Got a question... I need to "try" to touch up some spots on my cabinets which I applied tinted poly a few years ago. It turned out pretty good but It can be difficult to apply as you said. You mentioned before to thin it out for eaiser application. What do you thin it with? Regular Paint thinner? Thanks

Old 02-13-10, 10:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 153 Votes on 136 Posts
Yes, you thin it with paint thinner or mineral spirits. Tinted poly is next to impossible to touch up. You might get by with it if you redo an entire board [from joint to joint]

It's always a good idea to apply clear poly over tinted poly to protect the "tint" from wear.