Go Back  DoItYourself.com Community Forums > Hardware, Tools, Wood & Metal Working, Home & Business Security > Furniture, Wood and Cabinetry Finishing
Reload this Page >

What kind of laminate is typically used on furniture, and where can I find it?

Old 03-07-10, 05:49 PM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts

I have tried googling for the answer, but always seem to come up with floor laminate.

Im looking for the same kind of stuff they use on most of the furniture you would find at IKEA.

Can someone point me to a website where I can find it? Also, how to apply it?

Thank you!

Old 03-07-10, 06:52 PM
Received 15 Upvotes on 13 Posts
I believe it is hot melted on. It does not consist of an independent substrata as you have with a product such as Formica, In other words it does not come in sheets. It is not a DIY or consumer product.

Old 03-07-10, 07:20 PM
A
What would be a good alternative?

You mentioned formica, but I looked at their website and I couldnt find any wood grain in a dark black/espresso color.

There were two things I was looking to do:

1) I wanted to repair a bed frame thats laminate has either chipped off in big pieces or is in process of peeling off.

Here are images, perhaps with the images you can confirm that it is "hot melted on" and "not a consumer product"?

2) I have an end table that has a subwoofer underneath it. The problem is the subwoofer is taller than the end table, which means the end table rests on top of the subwoofer and does not touch the floor.

I was going to extend the height of the end table but I would have to do something about the front so the gap of the join didnt show. I was going to laminate it, and then cover it with a custom speaker cover I also made that would look much like the cover on the sub in the picture.

Old 03-07-10, 07:41 PM
A
Just as a side note I would either build my own end table, but I would still need the color and style to match the media center, which is the same style/color as the end table pictured. If I were to build my own, what would be the best alternative to achieve a similar look?

Thanks for your time and help!

Old 03-14-10, 06:56 PM
J
Hi,

If it were me, I'd try to glue it back with contact cement. The substrate seems to be some sort of particle board and the laminate, well, it's seems close enough to counter top material. Just follow the instructions on the can, it's real easy, but be sure to have the surfaces perfectly lined up when pressing them together as they are unlikely to move after they touch.

Good luck

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: