Installing kitchen cabinets

Old 04-07-10, 05:09 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Installing kitchen cabinets

How does one shim the top side of a cabinet when installing it, if the cabinet goes all the way to the ceiling?

I can't figure out how I am going to get access to the top side to place the shims there. How do you guys do that?

Thanks...Randy

Old 04-07-10, 05:45 PM
D
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
From the side or stick them on before you put the cabinet up. Use masking tape or even hot glue.

Old 04-07-10, 10:20 PM
R
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Guess it's just a lot of trial and error until you figure it out.

Pretty much what I thought. I was just hopeing that someone had some kind of wiz-bang trick that I didn't think of.

Thanks.

Old 04-08-10, 05:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,948 Upvotes on 1,748 Posts
If the last cabinet has a shim behind it, leave that shim sticking out about 1 1/2" so that it will also shim the next cabinet you put up.

Then if the leading edge of the following cabinet needs a shim, slide it in from the side, letting it stick out 1 1/2" again.

It's been quite a while since I did a kitchen, but I like to screw as many wall cabinets together on the ground as two guys can lift. (at least 2 screws through the face frames, and I often drop a shim between the cabinets in back and put a screw there to hold the back together) Remove the doors and shelves to make them lighter, check the wall with a long straightedge to find out where shims may be needed, and staple them up. Have some stands made that are the correct height, and then with another helper, set the entire assembly up onto the stands. Place shims between the stand and the cabinet to shim them up to the final height, then screw them to the wall.

Old 04-08-10, 02:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Randy, another thing I use is varying thicknesses of plywood, from a single ply to 3/8" cut in 3"x3" squares, rather than tapered shims. Then, I do as XSleeper says, allowing one cabinet's error correction carry forward to the next one. That way you have it all done but the last one which will require hot glue.

Old 04-09-10, 04:22 PM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Shimming

How does one shim the top side of a cabinet when installing it, if the cabinet goes all the way to the ceiling?
Get a trial thickness for the required shim by using a 4 ft. level against the wall with the shim placed behind the top end where the cabinet is to be located.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: