SamaN Water Based Stain

Old 04-20-10, 09:42 PM
M
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
SamaN Water Based Stain

I used Saman Water Based Chocolate Stain on my stair rails, posts and the boards that run along the carper and the boards that hold the poles in place. It is way too dark. I have tried using water to tone it down but it is not coming off very well. Is there a product that I can take it off and start over, using Min wax or watco oil. The wood is maple, but the stain is so dark it looks like painted MDF board. Please help.

Old 04-21-10, 05:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 854 Upvotes on 748 Posts
I rarely ever use a waterbased stain so I don't know a lot about them but I would think using a solvent like lacquer thinner or liquid deglosser should remove the majority of the stain. You would still need to sand some to get the wood back to a finishable state.

Old 04-21-10, 09:20 AM
M
Thank you for your reply, if a thinner was used will a product like Minwax be okay to use after?

Old 04-21-10, 12:19 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, what thinner is left behind will evaporate.

Old 04-21-10, 06:56 PM
M
Alcohol on the wood seems to really work well, will the minwax still work after it dries??

Old 04-22-10, 05:08 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Most any solvent will evaporate. It's possible the wood won't take stain well unless it's sanded first. Whenever sanding stained or to be stained wood it's important to sand with the direction of the grain otherwise ugly scratches will appear in the finish It's best to test an inconspicuous spot first but the stain should work fine. Maple typically doesn't absorb a lot of stain..... at least with oil base stains, I've never used a water based stain on maple.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: