Poly coat bubbled upon application

Old 04-28-10, 07:02 PM
T
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Poly coat bubbled upon application

I stripped, stained and applied a poly coat to my oak kitchen table top. All the products I used were water based. I used a sponge applicator. I noticed that the poly bubbled and now is mostly dried. What can I do to correct this? Do I need to sand then apply another coat? Do I have to strip it again and do it all over? (I really hope not!) What do I need to do to prevent bubbling in future coats?

Old 04-29-10, 05:45 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Describe the defect. Foamy bubbles in clusters or trails or spread out here and there over the whole surface? Did they appear as you were applying?
This could happen by shaking the can to mix it or by using an applicator that can easily retain air, be squeezed and inject bubbles into the finish.

I'm not sure how to advise you on the repair since I've never worked with waterbase. Don't know how thick the ridges get or how much it dimples. And sanding an imperfection out of a single coat might have you cutting into the stain.
Someones gotta know.
But using a brush or an applicator that will saturate completely is better than using a sponge.

Old 04-29-10, 06:12 PM
T
Thanks Mickblock,

The bubbles appeared in clusters all over the surface. I was careful not to shake the can, I used a stir stick first.

I went ahead and sanded, it smoothed out the bubbles and left dimples. I am deciding if i can live with that. Will they appear if I put another poly over them?

One part of the table, I guess was uneven; so the poly actually pooled and there was a definite edge (looked like a spill). After sanding, it actually lifted up and away pulling the stain with it. That definitely must be stripped again and done all over.

So frustrating. I think I may strip, condition, stain and then take to a shop for the poly coat. Since I can't figure out what created it; I don't want to risk the error again.

I figure at this point I have invested $70 and will need to invest another $35-70 depending on how much I decide to redo.

Maybe I will just take the whole darn thing to a shop. Might be cheaper in the long run.

I appreciate you feedback!

Old 04-29-10, 06:59 PM
Group Moderator
Received 914 Upvotes on 772 Posts
I'm guessing that the bubbles are from the foam brush. I use a foam roller to apply polyurethane which makes fro A LOT of bubbles. Then I always back brush which pops all the bubbles leaving a smooth surface. I also use oil based.

You could try sanding them off or if the area is flat you could cut them off with a razor blade or a piece of glass laid flat.

Old 04-30-10, 04:13 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
"I went ahead and sanded, it smoothed out the bubbles and left dimples....... Will they appear if I put another poly over them?

The only way to get rid of the dimples is by sanding. If you are leery of sanding into the stain, apply another coat of poly and sand when dry, then recoat. That should get rid of the dimples, if not, repeat the process.

I rarely use any waterbased poly and never use a foam brush/roller. I'd recommend using a good polyester or polyester blend brush.

Old 06-06-10, 11:13 AM
C
i just did a cabinet. the first coat was bubbly, i sanded it smooth(pretty easy). the 2nd coat was a lot less bubbly, sanded again. the 3rd coat was pretty smooth. cabinet in now in service.

Old 06-06-10, 12:54 PM
T
THanks!!

Thanks y'all!!

Based on your feedback, I sanded the bubbled areas and reapplied the polycoat. It is near perfect; and it looks great!! I appreciate all your feedback and advice :-)

Old 06-06-10, 01:40 PM
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Wow, thanks for posting back! Glad your project was a success.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: