First post...pls help!

Old 05-06-10, 09:04 PM
R
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Smile First post...pls help!

hope the photo worked. Basically what I'm doing is getting rid of the peninsula. Removing corner cabinets from bottom and top and sliding the peninsula to between the window and sliding glass door. The glass cabinet will be anchored on the wall between window and sliding glass door. My question, can I paint these cabinets? They are oak trim with (seems to me an oak vaneer panel insert). I have read about painting cabinets, sanding, priming and painting with an oil based enamel paint -- just see so many pro's and cons....the cabinets are not in really bad shape, but the laquer has worn off in some areas and I really like the look of the dark cabinetry that is in style right now. I can't afford to get new cabinets at the moment as we will be getting new countertops and new flooring. Please give me your insight! Will I wreck my cabinets if I paint them, or will it look good if I take my time and the steps involved...ps walls are changing to a celery green and blind going to gromet style faux suede curtains as well as updating the lighting. Anyways, thoughts and ideas appreciated!

Old 05-06-10, 09:27 PM
Suggestion, take off one of the smaller doors, and practice on the inside. If the oak veneer is a decent quality I think you could sand it and apply a darker stain, instead of painting them. I would suggest trying to stain before paint. It will take time, trial and error. Also, I noticed that you will have a pretty big empty spot when you remove the lower cabinet. Have you thought about using that lower cabinet for an island? Depending on what you put on your floor, you can put the cabinet on top of the new flooring. But only if you want to keep it there, because you will need to secure it to the floor. Good Luck

Old 05-06-10, 09:38 PM
R
I will have the corner cabinets to play with color (they are pretty much going to the dump). I'm even more scared to stain them...read lots about the trial and error thing and I'm not that confident in my staining abilities...never done that before and I have painted before just not cabinets. The peninsula holds my dishwasher and will end up against the wall. My main concern was opening up this kitchen, I hate how the peninsula cuts it in half, and my adjoining dining room is very small...that table barely fits, especially once you have a few people sitting around it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: