Cabinet corner by the floor

Old 08-08-10, 04:12 PM
D
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Cabinet corner by the floor

Hello. My dog decided to make a little snack out of the corner of my kitchen cabinet next to the floor. I'm trying to figure out the best way to go about fixing this. A corner block would seem like the best way to go.

Would I need to cut into it to make it square and then install the corner block? Or would I just sand it until it was square? I'm not sure how I should proceed here.

Old 08-09-10, 03:59 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 875 Upvotes on 766 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How were you planning to attach the block? Sanding the damage won't help much although a couple coats of paint would make it less noticeable. This is a cabinet door, right?

Old 08-09-10, 07:10 AM
D
Thanks for your reply, unfortunatly the damage is not done to a cabinet door. If it was, it would make the repair much easier. If you look at the picture you can see the crease from the door next to the chewed area. As for attaching the corner block, I was thinking about using finishing nails or screws. Painting the damage would just hide the problem.

Old 08-09-10, 08:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Ok, since it's not part of the door, the repair should be easier. You'll want to cut a block of wood the same thickness to replace the damaged area you cut out. Finish nails and maybe some glue would be fine for attachment. You can either spackle or caulk the joints where the 2 pieces of wood meet. it would be easier to hide the repair with spackling but caulking might be more durable. Use painter's putty to fill the nail holes.

Old 08-09-10, 04:42 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Received 11 Upvotes on 10 Posts
If I had to repair it, and all the other suggestions are spot on, I would use Minwax epoxy wood filler. Clean out all the loose strands and mix up a little. You have about 15 minutes to work with it. Make an approximate corner. Sand it down and apply more, filling as you go. Your last sanding should make the corner next to perfect. Prime and paint.

Old 08-14-10, 07:11 PM
D
What is the best way to shape the corner? What would be the best grit of sand paper to use? Hopefully a palm sander would be fine to do the job?

Old 08-15-10, 04:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
I've not used a lot of epoxy wood fillers but basically you apply it to the wood and form/shape it the best you can and then sand it when dry/cured. if it needs any minor filler after sanding - use spackling to level it out.

Old 08-15-10, 05:33 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,976 Upvotes on 1,772 Posts
Since you're attempting to shape a corner, you'd want to add a little at a time to build up the area. Each time, sand the excess down on the side, bottom and front. Use masking tape to keep adjacent areas clean. I'd use either a 1/4 sheet sander or a 5" orbital to do the shaping, with 80 grit. It will take several coats to build it up. If you do it slowly, you'll get a much better repair than if you try to gob it all on in one coat and then have to grind it down.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: