how to paint over veneer

Old 08-20-10, 06:33 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
how to paint over veneer

I have a table and buffet that was owned first by my paternal grandparents and finally by my maternal grandparents so it has great sentimental value. Another family member had the furniture first and left it outside for a lengthy period of time and the veneer on the top and front drawers of the buffet has warped. My taste is french country and I wanted to know how I can remove/paint over the veneer on the damaged buffet. I have bought 4"tile pieces and plan to adhere these to a new wood top for the buffet that can be removed as needed. I have given thought to painting the table top and striping the wooden legs, but any other ideas or suggestions for following through on my idea would be most appreciated.

Old 08-20-10, 09:40 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

How much of the veneer is damaged? it might be better to leave the veneer and patch the missing spots [after removing or sanding down the warped places]

The 2 biggest things with painting the veneer is to first make sure all/any wax/polish has been removed and using a solvent based primer [after a light sanding] You can use the paint of your choice for the top coat but a solvent based primer is needed to insure good adhesion to the previous finish.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: