Question about cabinet drawer slides

Old 09-26-10, 11:29 AM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Question about cabinet drawer slides

I want to replace the drawers in my kitchen base cabinets. The current (old) cabinets slide on a wood slide down the center of the cabinet into a troove between two pieces of wood on the drawers.

It's impossible to get this kind of drawer anymore; everything seems to use the slides that are on the side of the drawer. The problem is that the base cabinet in which the drawers sit is one unit, so the slides would have to be suspended from the face frame and back of the cabinet. Is this OK to do? Nothing terribly heavy is in these drawers, just cutlery, kitchen gadgets, that sort of thing.

One of the drawers I want to replace is an old fashioned metal "bread drawer", which I'm guessing they don't make anymore -- or do they? Is this something I should plan to try to find?

Old 09-27-10, 04:44 AM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Upvotes on 210 Posts
You can still get similar slides to what you describe. Rockler has a pretty good selection of all kinds including adapters for face frames:

Drawer Hardware

Old 09-29-10, 06:21 PM
H
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
But is it safe to use suspended side drawer slides for the new drawers? The cabinets are open on the sides becausse it is one big unit. Nothing will hold them up but the anchoring on front and back of the cabinets. The cabinets are 1950's knotty pine, and they are good and strong.

Old 09-30-10, 04:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 259 Upvotes on 210 Posts
Yes, provided the front and back are solid, the face frame adapters should be strong enough, provided the drawers don't weigh a ton.

What you might do is buy a set for one drawer and give them a trial run.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: