How Do I repair stripped particle board?

Old 11-09-10, 08:12 AM
A
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
How Do I repair stripped particle board?

I have a bed (IKEA type) that the falt screws came out of. The falt screws hold the metal piece in place and that is where bed slats are placed. Can not drill new holes unless I drill the metal. How do I repair the particle board and refasten the flat screws?

Old 11-09-10, 08:28 AM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
Welcome to our forums!

You would have to fix it in the way you said you couldn't, by drilling the metal piece.
I have a pretty good idea of what you are talking about and it is the only way to make a reliable connection.

Perhaps you have a friend or acquaintance that can do this for you if you are unable.

A clear picture of the area posted on a free host like Photo Bucket might help with other possibilities if there are any.
Just provide a link to the picture.

Old 11-09-10, 09:14 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,279 Upvotes on 1,217 Posts
Can you glue something into the existing holes in the particle board - golf tee, dowel,...?

Then you can redrill the original hole in that

Old 11-09-10, 10:13 AM
F
Received 39 Upvotes on 31 Posts
I would use inserts in the original holes (might need to drill the holes in the wood a little larger) that would then allow the use of machine screws. This is a permanent fix allowing for disassembly and reassembly without damaging the wood.

Check these links.

http://www.insertsdirect.com/productCategory.aspx?pc=2e98b997-2b1d-4312-8a28-fd2947a7633e

http://rtlfasteners.com/RC/q.html

http://www.mcfeelys.com/threaded-inserts

Old 11-09-10, 11:57 AM
W
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
My choice would be the screw inserts. You can buy them at a home improvement center. If you use them make sure that you drill the pilot hole to the specified size.

Other options would be to drill an oversize hole and glue in a piece of dowel. Once the glue dries just drill a new hole in the dowel.

Another option is to through drill the stripped hole and use a nut and bolt.

Old 11-09-10, 03:47 PM
A
the 'screws" are flat headed and do i get some type of drill bit made for particle baord and falt screws?

Old 11-09-10, 03:51 PM
A
Thumbs up many thanks everyone!

thank you not sure what these are but I will find them. Thank you these are all such great ideas!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: