Refinishing Ethan Allen British Classics Furniture

Old 02-01-11, 04:21 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Refinishing Ethan Allen British Classics Furniture

We recently bought some used Ethan Allen British Classics furniture in the Cinnabar finish. The dresser and the nightstand (tops only) need to be refinished. Has anyone ever refinished this particular collection of furniture? We need help figuring out which stain/stains to use to get the best match. Once again it is only for the tops of the furniture. Anyway if anyone has ever refinished this line and can offer advice that would be great-thanks in advance

Sponsored Links
Old 02-02-11, 08:37 AM
Group Moderator
Received 59 Votes on 55 Posts
I'd head to the local paint store - they're usually pretty darn good at matching stains on projects like this

Old 01-10-12, 02:40 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Matching the original British Classics finish from Ethan Allen.

Hi mitch17,

I am in the process of finishing my office. I'm adding a chair rail & paneling behind my Ethan Allen British Classics desk. I have found a really good match to the British Classics finish.

The British Classics furniture is maple wood which is difficult to achieve a brown/burgandy finish like that of Cinnabar. To do this I first stained my maple chair rail with the Minwax - Red Chestnut. This gives the wood a nice red foundation but still lacks the richness of the Cinnabar finish. After letting that thouroughly dry for a week I added two VERY THIN coats of Minwax Polyshades - American Chestnut in Satin. The Polyshade adds a brown over the red which matches perfectly.

Be careful, it's my opinion that the Polyshade products are more difficult to apply than simply stain & seal. Use very even brush strokes or spray on the Polyshades. If necessary add another coat of Clear Satin Minwax Polyurethane to top it off.

My chair rail matches great & I've also used this combination to repair a spot on our British Classics coffee table.

I hope that helps.

Old 01-10-12, 04:00 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 159 Votes on 141 Posts
Welcome to the forums John!

The OP hasn't been on the forums since he first made his post

You are correct that it can be quite tricky to apply polyshades over unsealed wood. Often it's easier to 1st apply regular poly and once it has dried, switch to the polyshades. I always recommend a clear coat of poly over polyshades so the tint will be protected. If polyshades wears off, so does the color