Decals for exterior application

Old 02-22-11, 02:05 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Decals for exterior application

I want to make some cornhole boards using decals. I want to paint the board, apply the decals, then polyurethane over all of it to waterproof and give long life from the decal peeling. Would it be best to apply the decal over plain paint, or over the first coat of polyurethane before putting more coats over the decal and everything? How many coats on top to waterproof it in pretty permanently? I was planning on using waterbase polyurethane for the clearest, non-yellowing finish. Any other comments appreciated.

Old 02-22-11, 02:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
The poly over the decals would probably give the best protection. I'm not aware of any water based poly rated for exterior use..... or are these just out on the porch temporarily?

Old 02-22-11, 02:16 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
I think the water based polys are fairly common, such as
Amazon.com: Deft 25704 Interior/Exterior Water-Based Polyurethane: Home Improvement

I don't expect the boards to be used in rainy weather, but I still don't want them to be in trouble if they get left out for the morning dew, or who knows what. I don't need them rated for marine use like a boat bottom, but I want them to last "just in case".

Old 02-22-11, 02:22 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 874 Upvotes on 765 Posts
Thanks for the link I guess things have changed some since I retired

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: