Correcting bowed table top by sanding

Old 02-24-11, 02:10 PM
O
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Correcting bowed table top by sanding

I inherited an antique, oak, drop leaf table. The top, consisting of four tongue and groved boards, is bowed, the leaves are in good condition. I tried to remove the bow using "the wet one side and dry out the other side" method. Because I planned to use it always in its extended position, I finally screwed all the top and the leaves to an underneath board to try to keep it from bowing again. No luck. Today, I talked with a professional furniture restorer who would charge $625 to sand the top and join the top with the legs using biscuts before refinishing. Although the table is an antique, I do not care about perserving value. I just want it to be functional and nice looking.

I am willing to try to sand the top flat using my orbital sander. Any tips? If I sand down the top will I ever get the finish color to match the leaves?

Any comments on the feasisbilty of my attaching the top to the leaves using just glue and a rope to hold the glued pieces together. Clamping is going to be difficult because of the curved edged leaves (and I do not have any big clamps).

Old 03-16-11, 05:36 AM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
Could you post a few pictures of this top.....from the top, side and end so we can see the extent of bowing? http://forum.doityourself.com/electr...your-post.html Thanks.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: