Campbell Housfeld 5 gun kit

Old 03-27-11, 12:19 PM
S
SBI
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Campbell Housfeld 5 gun kit

I want to finish my basement with partition walls and I am looking for a framing gun. I am not a professional hence I will not use it on a daily basis, so I don't want to spend $300-500 on a brand name. Went to Lowes last night and saw this kit for $229. It looks pretty decent, pretty good deal for the money. Anyone have any experience with these guns and can advise whether it's a great deal or a piece of junk?

Not sure why the picture won't show. Sorry.

Shop Campbell Hausfeld Framing Air Tool Kit at Lowes.com

Last edited by the_tow_guy; 03-28-11 at 04:05 AM. Reason: Tried to fix the image link; no luck.
Old 03-27-11, 06:06 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Unfortunately the server seems to be down so I don't know what is included in the kit. I bought a rebuilt Porter-Cable FR-350A framing nailer for about $150 if I remember correctly. You might be able to find something at Harbor Freight that would be acceptable.

Don't forget that some nailers use "clipped head" nails and some building inspectors might not accept these fasteners. It shouldn't be that important on non-load bearing walls but... That is one reason why I got a nailer that uses full-head nails.

Old 03-28-11, 03:51 AM
S
SBI
It includes:
21 (deg) magnesium round head framing nailer (on the side it says 21-22 (deg) 2"-3.5" nails).
2.5" 16 gauge finish nailer
2" 2-in-1 brad nailer/stapler
Pin nailer
Mini air palm hammer.

Old 03-28-11, 11:19 AM
F
Yeah, it will probably be okay and the price is right. It definitely won't be for continuous use but just for some hobby work (smaller weekend jobs) it should do the trick. Anything to get away from hand nailing!

My first nailer was a Bostich 18 gauge brad nailer. I loved that tool so much I used it on jobs where a bigger nailer would have been preferable. Then I bought the aforementioned Porter-Cable nailer and that was TOO big for most of my jobs. After that I bought three Harbor Freight models (at three different times) a palm nailer, a stapler (uses Arrow T-50 staples) for upholstery work and finally a 15 or 16 gauge (I can never remember) finish nailer. The stapler is the only one I haven't actually used except for testing but for my needs the HF models seem like they will be just fine. All five cost in excess of $350 so the C-H set is definitely a bargain IF they do what you want.

Since I am rather clumsy when it comes to hammer and nails the nailers have been a godsend. Much better than the proverbial sliced bread.

You'll probably get the least use out of the palm nailer (unless you have a big hoard of regular nails) but it is a really cool tool.

Old 03-28-11, 03:06 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 835 Upvotes on 732 Posts
Just to be clear - only the framing nailer should be used for framing. A finish gun doesn't secure framing good enough.

Before you buy a framing nailer, check the availability and price of the nails. There are several different angles for the guns/nails. Finish nails are pretty standard, 15 gauge - angled, 16 gauge - straight. I got a HF framing nail gun for Christmas a few years ago and it works great for the limited amount that I've use it.

Old 03-28-11, 03:27 PM
S
SBI
Thank you both.

This specific framing nailer takes 21 or 22 degrees nails, from 2 inches to 3.5 inches. There is more data on the side of box. Darn, I wish I could post the picture.

Do I have to use CH nails as well, or anything within that range regardless of the manufacturer?

Also, what is the difference between external nails and internal? I saw many more options for external, but I am not sure if I can use them indoor.

What length of a nail is usually used to frame a standard 2X4?

Thanks again.

Old 03-28-11, 07:05 PM
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
Upvotes: 0
Received 9 Upvotes on 8 Posts
I think you mean interior and exterior nails. Coated nails, or hot dipped galvanized nails are generally used out of doors (exterior), while the others are used indoors or during covered framing operations. No, you don't have to use CH nails, as I am sure they are expensive. Look for bargains. The only specifications you will need is the angle and length, and whether round head or clipped head. The binding is important, too.....paper or plastic or wire weld.
Your deal seems equitable. Don't forget you need a compressor and hoses. I opt for the 100' 1/4" braided blue hose which sells for about $40. Less tangling, loops well and is lightweight.
You can frame standard 2x4's using a 2 1/2" to 3" nail. A 3" nail will stick out slightly on the back side if nailed flat, so you will learn to angle your shots slightly to prevent that.

Old 03-29-11, 05:20 PM
S
SBI
Originally Posted by chandler
I think you mean interior and exterior nails. Coated nails, or hot dipped galvanized nails are generally used out of doors (exterior), while the others are used indoors or during covered framing operations. .
But do I have to use interior? What happens if I use Exterior inside the house?

Old 03-29-11, 11:08 PM
F
Not a problem. Since galvanized nails hold better than uncoated I try to always use the "outdoors" nails whenever possible. Some nails are only available in the "interior" or "smooth" option. Just don't use uncoated nails outside as they will rust. You also have to use specially coated nails if you build with pressure treated wood.

Old 03-31-11, 10:06 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,263 Upvotes on 1,204 Posts
My boss has a couple guns of this brand and they've held up fine - I wouldn't choose them for every day use but for occasional use they're fine

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: