Refinishing Oak Library Table and should not have used putty - need advice

Old 07-07-11, 08:18 AM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Refinishing Oak Library Table and should not have used putty - need advice

I have a old 4' X 12' oak table from Indiana University Library with a solid 1 inch top. Unfortunately, this novice used wood filler to fill in scratches and dents so that no one would get splinters from the table - especially on the sides. In testing stains, I quickly learned that filler looks awful with stain and I need some expert advice. The only thing I can come up with is to paint the top and let the base legs and rails remain oak. I'm hoping for a good idea!

Old 07-07-11, 08:54 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
Welcome to the forums

Generally, the best procedure is to stain the wood, fill the voids with putty to match the color, then apply your finish coats (polyurethane, lacquer,...).

Don't know whether you can remove the wood filler but that would be my first thought.

Old 07-07-11, 11:10 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
A pic or two might help http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...your-post.html

Primer and paint would fix the problem but I'd save that for a last resort.

I like to use colored putty like Mitch suggested. Some fillers will accept stain better than others but it's always iffy when you try to stain 2 dissimilar materials. Are you sure the wood is solid? no veneer? Would it be feasible to sand out the defects?

You might take an artist brush and carefully paint just the filler to help it blend in with the rest of the stained wood.

Old 07-07-11, 08:21 PM
B
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice Mitch and Mark. Here are a couple of pics. The closeup of the putty was stained on the bottom side of the table along with the brace that I added. The pic of the top with all the putty was before sanding, but you can see that I hit quite a few places. It is possible to dig it out and follow your advice to stain first and then add filler. I appreciate your time and experience. Thanks, Bruce

Old 07-08-11, 07:19 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
Nice table. I'd definitely try not to paint, it would be a shame to cover that wood with paint.

Old 07-08-11, 01:13 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 870 Upvotes on 761 Posts
I posted a reply this morning, where did it go

Oh well, let me try again. Colored putty shouldn't be applied until the wood is stained and has 1 coat of poly/varnish on it. Colored putty is best used for cracks and small holes. It may take inter mixing 2 different colors to get the right color. You won't be able to apply it like you did in the pic..... and colored putty isn't all that sandable.

Floor finishers use a filler paste that stains decently. Basically they apply it, let it dry and then sand off all of it except in the low spots. I don't know the name of the product but you should be able to get it at any store that sells wood flooring and finishing supplies.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: