Teeny Tiny Block Plane To Trim Melamine Tape

Old 08-22-11, 05:22 PM
P
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Teeny Tiny Block Plane To Trim Melamine Tape

I saw some Stanley block planes that were about an inch wide and maybe 3 inches long. I'm thinking about putting melamine tape on the edges of some shelf boards. Would that little block plane make a good tool to trim the edges of the tape?

Old 08-22-11, 05:41 PM
Super Moderator
Received 8 Upvotes on 8 Posts
When I did this, I did a perfectly fine job (if I say so myself) using just a razor blade from a box cutter or razor knife boxcutter and being careful. You want to cut towards the joint...not away.

I can't imagine the cabinet plane (I have one) allowing you a good view. Before I bought that I'd get a plane esp for trimming laminate like that. They make 'em...just not sure what they are called. Might need to order online.

Old 08-23-11, 04:30 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
There's a specific trimmer for this job, just can't remember what it's called.... It runs along the face and trims the edge flush, kind of like a hand powered router (with a fixed blade instead of a rotating bit doing the cutting).

Old 08-23-11, 05:37 AM
W
Received 65 Upvotes on 56 Posts
Trimmer

One of these should work for you:

Veneering Tools - Rockler - Presses, Rollers, Trimmers & More

Good luck with your project.

Old 08-23-11, 06:44 AM
S
Group Moderator
Received 1,280 Upvotes on 1,218 Posts
The double edge trimmer on the page wirepuller linked was what I was talking about

Old 08-23-11, 06:16 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,959 Upvotes on 1,756 Posts
The double edge trimmers are just okay. They dull fairly quickly, IMO. Actually many professionals use planer blades. As in, they get replacement blades for a plane, like a Stanley #4, and keep them scary sharp. Then you just zip along holding the planer blade in your hand and clean off the overlapping edge banding. It takes a while to get the hang of it, but it works pretty slick. Easier to hold than a razor blade.

A cabinet guy that I work with occasionally is super fast with one. He makes it look easy.

Old 08-24-11, 06:43 AM
W
Received 31 Upvotes on 25 Posts
I use a small Stanley trim plane for trimming glue-on wood edging. I've used it a couple of times on laminate and it works fine. The key is that it must be kept sharp.

Old 10-07-11, 07:03 PM
P
Received 2 Upvotes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by XSleeper
A cabinet guy that I work with occasionally is super fast with one. He makes it look easy.
That's what pros do - make the hard stuff look easy.

Haven't started the wood edging yet but when I do I think I'll start with the small Stanley trim plane that WMitchell suggested.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: