Streaks on cherry cabinets

Old 12-02-11, 03:41 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Streaks on cherry cabinets

Hi All,
I am in the process of refinishing the cabinets in my bathroom. I have stripped the old finish using a chemical refinisher and then sanded the wood manually and with an electric (random, orbital) sander. I used 80 grit, 120 grit, and finally 220 grit sandpaper. My problem is that the drawer fronts and cabinets that were closest to the countertop appear to have water damage that won't go away. It looks like streaks in the wood. At first I didn't notice it on the raw wood, but the stain really made it stand out. Has anybody else seen this problem? Any suggestions? I assumed sanding would take care of it...but it doesn't.
Thanks for any help.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-11, 03:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 117 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Since the cabinets had a finish until you stripped it, I would think it would be odd for there to be any water damage. Are the dark streaks just on the front? or did the back get wet and the damage migrated to the front?

Some pics would be nice, http://www.doityourself.com/forum/li...-pictures.html

Old 12-02-11, 04:50 PM
The streaks are on the front. I don't think these cabinets had a great finish on them to begin with. It looks like water dripped down the front of them. The only ones that have streaks on the back are on the tilt-outs where water could have easily gotten dripped there, too.

Old 12-02-11, 05:12 PM
I'm going to try to show some pics. This method of adding pictures is kind of funky. It make a take a few tries.

Last edited by FixitMo; 12-02-11 at 05:16 PM. Reason: pictures didn't show up
Old 12-02-11, 05:25 PM
I think if you go to this link you will see my pictures.
The first one shows a drawer front that has been stained and shows streaks.
The second one is a drawer front that is completely finished and does not have streaks.
The third one is a completely finished drawer front that shows streaks.

Pictures by FixitMo - Photobucket

I'm not sure if this is how to view the pictures or not.

Old 12-03-11, 04:28 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
I see what you mean but not sure how much help I can be

I suspect any fix will involve stripping those pieces back down to raw wood. I don't know if you can sand deep enough to get rid of the black staining. I suppose you could mix some stain with the poly [or buy Polyshades] and "paint" those pieces. The coloring in the tinted poly might hide the trouble spots but then there might be an issue with those pieces looking different than the rest.

Maybe someone brighter than me will come along with a better answer for you

Old 12-03-11, 04:45 PM
I looked at the drawer fronts a little more closely and now I believe the water damage probably seeped through from the back. In that case, it would seem there's nothing I can do about it. I've sanded the pieces pretty aggressively (spelling?) today and I'm just going to proceed with what I have. I used 60 grit, 100 grit, and 220 grit. Worst case, I'll have to buy new drawer fronts. I don't want to do that because I'm trying to do this as inexpensively as possible. Thanks for your input!

Old 12-04-11, 05:32 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It really doesn't look all that bad and as long as the wife [aka boss] doesn't complain, I'd be inclined to forget it and just make sure they have a nice slick smooth finish. Some folks won't even know there is anything wrong with them, they'll just think it's natural to the wood

Old 12-05-11, 09:48 AM
Hi FixitMo, I have been studying your pics a couple of times and the more I look at them, the more I am convinced that your drawer fronts and doors are not cherry. I am thinking that they are probably birch or maple (probably birch) that has been stained to look like cherry. The lines you are seeing are similar to the "tiger strip" that occurs in maple but also appears in birch. You could take the drawer front into a local wood shop and just ask them. It sounds like you have done all the right prep work so I would just go ahead and stain and finish them. Older, sprayed on finishes (factory applied) usually have some tint added to them to make the finish uniform in color which actually hides the natural grain in the wood. When you stripped them, you exposed the "real" wood and now have the opportunity to actually enhance it. A coat of stain and an oil based poly finish (3 or 4 coats) will bring out the natural grain patterns and really look fantastic - IMHO. If you want to hide some of the grain pattern, you could use a wipe on stain - it is a little thicker and sits more on the surface than soaking in.

Good Luck with it!
Jim