How to clean old unfinished wood

Old 04-19-12, 10:30 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
How to clean old unfinished wood

I found 4 pieces of unfinished wood in the basement. I would like to use it for a table top. I want to keep the old weathered look that it has and all the character flaws etc. I do need to clean the dust and dirt off and would like to know how to clean it with out ruining the grey weather beaten look? My husband thinks two are pine and two are red oak. Thank you for your help!

Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-12, 04:34 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 170 Votes on 151 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

Unless you want to sand down to new wood, about all you can do is dust them off and maybe go over it with a damp rag once the dust is gone. To keep the weathered look it would be best to use a waterbased satin poly. Are you sure the 2 different species won't pose a problem? How do you intend to mate the pieces of wood together and have an even surface on the top?

Old 04-20-12, 07:02 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi marksr!

Thanks for the welcome and information. We will be using glass over the top to give us the level we need. I have a back up plan for the wood if this doesn't work. We will use it elsewhere at a later date for another project. What gave me the idea was seeing it laid on top of an old dresser in the basement. The four pieces were side by side and being used as a table. I believe to protect the furniture and still have a place to pile smaller things on top. The wood is flat and straight because of all boxes that were on top. I don't know how it was able to weather so nicely but it looks like it was pulled off of an old barn. Very rustic. I did just as you said and I will be starting the first coat of Water based Poly today. I figure it was all free, and it cant hurt to try. I am only losing the cost of poly right now if it doesn't work. Then again, I will be using it elsewhere if it doesn't work as a table! This is my first DIY project. I fixed my own stairs last summer and since then have wanted to try something else! Thanks again for your help!

Old 04-20-12, 07:26 AM
Group Moderator
Received 303 Votes on 276 Posts
As to the glass, I'd suggest you go to a commercial glass store (like City Glass) and order a piece of 1/4" tempered glass, with a ground polished edge. You will never have to worry about it breaking or chipping. (unless you accidentally hit it with a sledgehammer)