Tips for Sanding and Refinishing Stair Balusters and Railing

Old 05-11-12, 08:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Tips for Sanding and Refinishing Stair Balusters and Railing

Hi All -

I recently installed new hardwood flooring with a beautiful Gunstock finish. The house had carpeting and oak stair railing with white spindles. I want to stain the stair railing and balusters to match the flooring, and then install wrought iron spindles.

My question is this: Any tips for sanding the balusters and railing? There are lots of details and turns on the wood, so I would appreciate any tips from the group on making this look as good as possible!

Also, if anyone has any tips on good wrought iron spindles, I'd appreciate that as well - saw an interesting product at Lowe's, but it's $11 per unit for the spindle and attachment system, and I have 75 to do!

Thanks in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 05-11-12, 10:13 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 167 Votes on 148 Posts
Welcome to the forums!

I assume these stair parts currently have a finish on them ?? What color are they? darker, lighter or totally different? Maybe a few pics showing both - http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

Basically you start out with a coarse grit and work your way to a finer grit. Always sand with the direction of the grain. Cross sanding leaves scratches in the wood that will be noticeable once the stain is applied..... and they're hard to sand out Sometimes a sharp scraper is beneficial in corners and other hard to get places.